Quality assurance funds (QSM) at universities in Baden-Württemberg are used to improve teaching and research. Since the introduction of QSM, its use has become an important component of quality assurance at universities.
Content overview of this page
Abolition of tuition fees and introduction of quality assurance funds (QSM).
Previously, students had to pay tuition fees of €500 per semester. Since the summer semester of 2012, the fees have been waived. The abolition of tuition fees was tackled for various reasons. The fees were criticized as socially unjust, as they primarily burdened those students who came from less financially stable families. There were also critical voices arguing that the fees were a restriction on access to education.
The abolition of tuition fees was decided and implemented by the government of Baden-Württemberg at the time. It argued that education was a fundamental right and that everyone should have access to education regardless of their financial situation. The abolition was also intended to show that the government was willing to invest in the education of its citizens.
However, the universities use the tuition fees to be able to guarantee a high quality of studies. To ensure that there are no losses here, Baden-Württemberg is the only federal state to compensate for the loss of revenue through the quality assurance funds. This enables the government to ensure that studies at universities in Baden-Württemberg continue to be of high quality and offer students good preparation for their future careers.
Decision and use of quality assurance funds (QSM).
The quality assurance funds are monies that the government in Baden-Württemberg compensates for since tuition fees are no longer charged. The amount of these funds is 280 € per semester and student. Therefore, these are not funds of the General Student Committee (AStA). However, the AStA has a “binding right of proposal”. This means that 11.764 % of the funds are additionally allocated by the Rectorate at the suggestion of the student body for ensuring the quality of studies and teaching.
The QSM may only be used for additional measures related to study and teaching. The measures must benefit the students. A direct reference to studying and teaching, which is also comprehensible, is therefore important.
- Additional teaching staff or courses (also division due to high number of participants)
- Acquisition of learning materials and software to supplement teaching
- Equipment laboratories
- adaptation to technical requirements (replacement of old equipment used for teaching)
- Improving the service in libraries
The application for quality assurance funds (QSM).
The quality assurance funds are subject to conditions. In addition to the conditions, a process and timeline has been defined at Heilbronn University to process the applications. The applications are processed by the budget officer of the AStA according to the Administrative regulations (VwV) is being worked on. Also involved in the process are the student representative bodies and the central Quality Assurance Resources Committee (ZQA) and the dean’s office.
The procedure/process for the application
- Faculty and staff requests are submitted directly to the AStA Budget Officer via email only.
- Applications must be submitted with the completed application form.
- Email address: qsm∂asta.hs-heilbronn.de
- The budget officer checks the applications according to the VwV and gives feedback to the departments/ZQA
- The student representative bodies/ZQA then decide on the basis of the facts of the case
- The Dean’s Office will be notified of the proposal approved by the Student Council and will issue the appointment, teaching assignment, etc.
- Subsequently, the applicants receive feedback.
- The FInancial Unit of the faculty concerned receives the approved proposal.
Timing of the applications
The funds for the calendar year must be spent by April 30 of the following year. Otherwise, the funds expire or are “saved” at short notice by the central quality assurance funds committee (ZQA) and used for central measures.
Provision of funds
Possibility to submit requests by mail
End of application period for student council QSM, student council funds go to ZQA.
Central allocation of the remaining funds
End of the application for the funds of the year